Full-time and Part-time
The City of Portage periodically creates a candidate pool from which future vacancies will be filled. At this time, we are operating from a recruitment list created in February of 2014. We are not currently recruiting for the position of Police Officer, but we will retain resumes/applications for future consideration for a period of one year, after which time you must reapply.
These are highly responsible positions involving crime prevention, criminal and emergency response, investigation and traffic enforcement. The starting hourly rate is $20.47 per hour and moves to $30.24 within five years. Benefits will vary depending on whether the position is Full or Part time.
The following is an outline of the selection process for Police Officer for the City of Portage:
The minimum qualifications for a successful candidate include the following:
- Must possess an Associate Degree in Criminal Justice or related field, or equivalent in training and experience. A Bachelor Degree in Criminal Justice is preferred.
- Must be MCOLES certified or certifiable.
- Applicants must complete a City of Portage Application.
- Must pass a written assessment test with EMPCO Inc. as outlined below, an internal oral board (Panel) interview, comprehensive background investigation, and post-offer physical and psychological examinations.
- Must pass or have recently passed the MCOLES physical fitness test.
- Must possess/obtain a valid Michigan driver license with excellent record
- No felony convictions, including expunged convictions.
- Must obtain residency within 20 miles of city boundaries within specified time frame.
The City utilizes the independent testing firm of EMPCO Inc. to conduct the written Law Enforcement Police Officer test. Tests are conducted on various dates and at various locations around the state. To register with EMPCO and participate in a written test, go to: http://www.empco.net. A fee will be charged to register with EMPCO, however their written test results are accepted by many participating police departments throughout the state. EMPCO test scores are only valid for one year from date of test.
Individuals interested in applying should apply online by selecting the desired option below or submit an application to: Employee Development, City of Portage, 7900 S. Westnedge Ave., Portage, MI 49002.
In addition to the Employment Application; a Supplemental Application will also be required: Supplemental Application.pdf
Additional questions about the Portage Police Officer hiring process should be directed to the Department of Employee Development at (269) 329-4533.