- What do I need to do to have a recreational fire at my house?
- Do I need a permit to burn my leaves?
- Does the Fire Department do tours or programs?
- Does the Fire Department recharge fire extinguishers?
- Can I get a smoke detector at the Fire Department?
1. What do I need to do to have a recreational fire at my house?
Recreational fires may be kindled only if a permit has been obtained. To receive a permit, contact the Portage Department of Public Safety - Fire Division at (269) 329-4487 or visit Fire Station #1 at 7830 Shaver Road between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
2. Do I need a permit to burn my leaves?
Burning of leaves or yard waste is prohibited by city ordinance. However, the Department of Streets and Equipment has regular leaf and brush pickup programs.
3. Does the Fire Division do tours or programs?
The Department of Public Safety - Fire Division regularly provides fire station tours and public education events for school or community organizations. These are hosted at Fire Station #1 located at 7830 Shaver Road. To schedule your organization's visit, please call (269) 329-4487 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
4. Does the Fire Division recharge fire extinguishers?
The Fire Division does not sell or service fire extinguishers. Several local businesses provide this service. The Fire Division does not recommend any particular firm.
5. Can I get a smoke detector at the Fire Division?
Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are available from several local businesses. For those unable to purchase one, the Fire Division has a limited number of smoke detectors available at Fire Station #1, 7830 Shaver Road.