Thinking of Installing a Swimming Pool?
When the warm weather arrives, the sounds of swimming pools are sure to follow. Private swimming pools, including temporary inflatable pools, have become increasingly popular in community neighborhoods. If you have or plan to install a swimming pool capable of holding 24 inches of water, or more, the following information will help keep your friends and family safe this summer.
- Safety is of the utmost importance. Make sure children and others who may not be able to swim are properly supervised around a swimming pool. Never leave a child unattended around a pool. It is also important to ensure pets are also supervised around the pool.
- A 48-inch tall, non-climbable fence, including self-closing and self-locking gates or other barriers, must be present around a swimming pool. If a house serves as a portion of the barrier, audible devices announcing the openings of each door accessing the pool may be required. A powered safety cover in compliance with ASTM F1346 may also serve as a barrier.
- Swimming pools must be located on the same parcel of property as the house.
- Pools must be located at least eight (8) feet from side and rear property lines and at least ten (10) feet from any other buildings, except uncovered patios or decks.
- Electrical, water supply and drainage system regulations may be applicable depending on the design and size of the swimming pool.
- Swimming pools must be maintained in clean, sanitary and fully operational condition.
- If you don’t know how to swim, learn! It’s never too late and is a great form of exercise. Children should be instructed at a young age through a qualified program. Even if you don’t have a pool, knowing how to swim is a valuable skill to have should you ever need it.
A building permit is necessary for the installation of all new swimming pool to confirm proper placement and ensure that all applicable safety requirements are met. Please contact the Department of Community Development at 329-4477 if you have any questions or need further information.