City Council Sets Special Meeting to Discuss Angling Road Tree Removal by Midwest Energy Cooperative
A Special Meeting of the Portage City Council has been established on Wednesday, June 27, 2012 at 6:30 p.m. at Portage City Hall (7900 South Westnedge Avenue) to continue discussions regarding tree removal/replacement along Angling Road between West Centre Avenue and Vanderbilt Avenue. The purpose of the meeting is to gather additional input from residents that may not have been communicated at the June 12, 2012 meeting of the Portage City Council.
While the City of Portage has endeavored to answer questions presented by residents at the June 12, 2012 City Council meeting (see attached
), primary efforts have been focused on consideration of options to restore the visual barrier to U.S. 131 for properties along Angling Road south of Centre. Although specific plans are not yet available, some basic information is noted below:
- The City of Portage is committed to re-establishing a visual barrier to U.S. 131 for residents along Angling Road between Centre and Vanderbilt;
- The visual barrier will consist of larger evergreen trees (8 ft. to 12 ft. trees);
- The visual barrier will be re-established in the U.S. 131 right-of-way;
- The visual barrier will be re-established during the upcoming fall months in order to provide the best chance of survival for the trees;
- Funding for re-establishment of a visual barrier will be obtained from winter maintenance-related savings afforded to the city due to the recent mild winter.
The City of Portage is interested in re-establishing the most complete visual barrier within the limitations of the available (MDOT right-of-way) planting area, and considering the topography and healthy spacing distance for trees that will be planted. It may be that some residents will not immediately have as complete of a visual barrier as has existed for the past several years. Alternatively, some residents may have an immediately improved barrier. It is intended, however, that over time, a substantive visual barrier to U.S. 131 will be restored for all residents of the area.
More specific information will be shared with residents as the planting plan is developed over the next several weeks. In the meantime, those with additional concerns are encouraged to attend the June 27, 2012 Special Meeting of the Portage City Council or contact the Office of the City Manager by email
or by phone at 329-4400.