Initiate or Discontinue Paperless Billing
The City of Portage is pleased to offer paperless billing for quarterly utility (water and sewer) bills. Please complete and submit the form to initiate (or discontinue) paperless billing. Customers have the option to continue receiving paper bills, in addition to receiving electronic bills.
Paperless billing will begin (or be discontinued) with your next quarterly utility bill. Please contact the Treasury Office at 269-329-4455 with any questions.
- All water and sewer accounts in the City of Portage are billed on a quarterly basis. Billing quarters vary depending on the location of the service address.
- Payments for all charges are due approximately 29 days after the billing date.
- Payments are considered timely if received in the Treasury Office, dated electronically, or postmarked by the US Postmaster on or before the due date (postage metered dates are not accepted).
- Payments not received timely are subject to a 10% late fee, established by City Ordinance.
- Approximately 25 days after the due date, services with unpaid balances greater than $60 will be shut off and will remain so until the bill is paid in full along with a non-refundable processing fee.
- By the time the service is shut off for non-payment three statements have been issued to the customer. Failure to receive any of these notices does not relieve the customer of the responsibility for paying the bill or related fees and charges.
- The City of Portage Treasury Office accepts payments via cash, check, money order or credit/debit card. Payment by credit or debit card can be made electronically through a third party vendor. Detailed information on this is located on the front of this bill by the credit card symbols.
- Please make checks payable to: City of Portage. Payment by check authorizes the City of Portage to convert the check into an electronic funds transfer. Please be aware that your bank account may be debited as soon as the same day the City receives your payment.
- Payment can be made in person at the Treasury Office at City Hall.
- A drop box is available at City Hall 24 hours per day for your convenience. The payment drop-box is opened once a day at 8 a.m.
- Payments placed in the drop-box after 8 a.m. will be processed the next business day.
- If mailing payment, please mail payment to Treasury office, 7900 S Westnedge Avenue, Portage, MI 49002. To receive proper credit, please include the bottom remittance portion of your billing statement.
- When mailing your payment, if you wish to receive a paid receipt, please include the full billing statement along with a self-addressed stamped envelope.
- For residential customers only, a sewer cap which limits the amount billed for sewer, will be in place for three quarters of the year.
- The basis for calculating the sewer cap is based on the water usage for the quarterly bill that contains the month of January (winter quarter). On each residential account, the usage of the winter quarter is multiplied by 125% to determine the sewer usage cap for the other three quarters of the year.
- During the winter quarter, the sewer consumption charged is the same as the water consumption.
- If a customer has no winter quarter consumption, the sewer cap will be set at 15,000 gallons.