Spring Cleanup Program
Each spring, the City of Portage conducts the Spring Cleanup Program, giving residents the opportunity to reduce household clutter and get rid of unwanted household materials by placing items at curbside for pickup.
The 2022 Spring Cleanup Program The collection of unwanted household materials will begin on Monday, March 28 and end on Thursday, April 28.
View program details and a collection map to learn the collection date of your neighborhood. Or use the handy address locator tool below. Questions regarding the Spring Collection program can be directed to the Department of Public Works at 329-4444.
ADDRESS LOCATOR TOOL
Neighborhood collection occurs only once during the Spring Cleanup Program, so it is important to place items at the curb by 7 AM on your scheduled pickup date!
The Spring Cleanup Program is not performed for commercial establishments, churches or schools or on private streets. The program can be conducted on private streets, only after every property owner on the private street has signed an indemnification form. Please contact the Department of Public Works at (269) 329-4444 with any questions concerning collection on private streets.
Reminders . . .
- The City of Portage has no responsibility for items removed from the curbside by private parties.
- Collection will occur only once in each zone.
- All items at the curb will be collected – please watch children’s toys.
- Please separate trash and metals at the curb.
What Items WILL Be Collected?
- Bed springs and mattresses.
- Metal – piled separately – will be collected.
- Old appliances, including washers, dryers, stoves, and hot water heaters will be collected.
- Lawn/yard equipment – drained of oil and fuel.
- Other items must be bundled, bagged or boxed. Each package should weigh less than 50 pounds.
What Items WILL NOT Be Collected?
- Animal waste
- Brush or leaves (see reverse page)
- Wood fencing or decking
- Household garbage
- Gas or fuel containers
- Large auto parts
- Paint and chemicals
- Railroad ties or landscape timbers
- TV’s, Computers & monitors
- Sand, gravel or sod
- Broken concrete
- Scrap building materials from demolition, construction or remodeling
- Refrigerators, air conditioners and dehumidifiers
It is the responsibility of Portage residents to dispose of the above materials properly. The City of Portage participates in the Kalamazoo County Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Program. Residents are encouraged to call the HHW Hotline at 373-5211 for information regarding hazardous waste drop-off disposal or visit kalcounty.com/hhw.
Note: The Spring Cleanup Program is not performed for commercial establishments, churches or schools or on private streets (unless every property owner on a private street has signed an indemnification form). Please contact the Department of Public Works at (269) 329-4444 with any questions.