The running of the Zeigler Kalamazoo Marathon on Sunday, April 23, 2023, will affect traffic and parking ability in Portage. The marathon route will utilize a mix of paved bike trails and walkways on the Portage Creek Bicentennial Park (PCBP) Trail, Kilgore Road, Garden Lane, Lovers Lane, Romence Road Parkway, Portage Road, and Stryker Way trails on the Stryker Campus.
Runners will enter and exit the City of Portage at the PCBP North Trailhead parking lot at the corner of East Kilgore Road and Lovers Lane. The parking lot at the North Trailhead will be closed at sunset on Saturday, April 23 through 12:30 PM on Sunday, April 23. Alternate parking is available at PCBP (910 East Milham Avenue).
Throughout the course, runners will have a designated lane to run in. Critical points on the course will be monitored by public safety to ensure the safety of all runners and motorists. Roads will close at these intersections where runners are actively crossing:
- Burdick Street / Kilgore Road 8:30 AM – 10:15 AM
- Kilgore Road / Lovers Lane 8:30 AM – 12:30 PM
- Garden Lane / Lovers Lane 8:50 AM – 11:15 AM
- Lovers Lane / Romence Road Parkway 8:45 AM – 11:15 AM
- Portage Road / Ramona Lane 8:45 AM – 11:30 AM
- Portage Road / Stryker Way* 9:00 AM – 12:15 PM
- Lovers Lane / East Milham Avenue 9:00 AM – 12:15 PM
- All Roads Reopen 12:30 PM
* (East side parking lots will be accessible from the main drive off Portage Road; the north entrance will be barricaded and closed.)
Motorists are asked to drive with caution in this area of the city during the Zeigler Kalamazoo Marathon. Watch for runners, spectators, volunteers, and Public Safety officers. For more information, visit the Facebook event @CityofPortageMI or call Portage Parks & Recreation at (269) 329-4522.