Capital Improvement Program
In September 2018, the City of Portage launched the annual update of the Capital Improvement Program (CIP).
The CIP is a 10-year financing plan that identifies both short and long-range physical development and capital investments, such as:
- major and local streets, including non-motorized transportation;
- municipal water, sanitary sewer and storm drainage facilities;
- neighborhood enhancements such as sidewalks, street trees, gateway signage, street lights, and traffic calming techniques;
- parks, bikeways and multi-use trails;
- public facilities such as City Hall, Senior Center, Public Services and technology; and
- public safety facilities, vehicles and equipment.
The CIP is an important implementation tool for various City of Portage planning efforts, such as:
- The Comprehensive Plan, which addresses long term goals and needs pertaining to land use, the transportation network, recreation and open space, natural/cultural resources, economy and market place, utility infrastructure and community facilities;
- Strategic plan studies such as the Stormwater Master Plan, the Wellhead Protection Program, Water Utility Infrastructure Analysis Program, Walkway/Bikeway Plan, and;
- Periodic municipal facility audits, annual reports (e.g. utility operation and maintenance reports, annual traffic count and signal studies), citizen surveys; amongst others
Community Input Wanted!
A community-supported CIP helps ensure that decisions made on capital investments will maintain and enhance the community. To garner public input and citizen engagement, an Open House was held on Monday, September 24, 2018 in the Portage City Hall Council Chambers, 7900 South Westnedge Avenue.
In addition to the Open House meeting, an ONLINE SURVEY was available during the month of September 2018 for interested persons to submit ideas for capital improvement projects and/or provide feedback on projects already in the planning stages.
Click here to view the Survey Responses
For more information on the CIP, please feel free to contact the Department of Community Development at 329-4477.
- September 24, 2018: CIP Open House meeting, City Hall, 4-7 p.m.
- October – November, 2018: CIP projects proposals developed
- November, 2018 – January 2019: City Administration review of CIP projects
- February 7, 2019: Planning Commission review of draft CIP, City Hall, 7 p.m.
- February, 2019: City Administration prepares final draft CIP
- March 7, 2019: Planning Commission review of final draft CIP, City Hall, 7 p.m.
- March 21, 2019: Planning Commission review of final draft CIP, City Hall, 7 p.m.
- April – May , 2019: City Council budget workshops and review of final draft CIP
- May 2019 (second City Council meeting): City Council approves budget and final CIP