For the Public: Drone Safety
The City of Portage does not restrict drone use by the public. However, All drone pilots operating within the city limits of Portage are required to follow the requirements set forth by Federal and Michigan drone laws:
The City would also like to remind drone operators to:
- possess the required FAA certifications and drone registrations.
- be considerate of park users and other visitors to public spaces.
- refrain from interfering with Public Safety operations.
- never fly the drone in an unsafe manner that endangers personal safety or property.
How Drones May Be Used by the City of Portage
This far-reaching technology may be used to enhance services provided to the community by:
- protecting the lives and property of citizens and first responders.
- enhancing situational awareness during emergency response.
- inspecting and monitoring facilities, assets, infrastructure and natural resources.
- obtaining photos and video for outreach, including printed materials and social media.
Drones will always be operated in a constitutionally and legally sound manner that respects and protects the privacy and civil liberties of all. Safety is the primary concern in every operation. If you would like to know more about the City drone program, you may contact the Director of Technology Services at 269-324-9217.