Are you interested in pursuing a career that offers meaningful work, a chance to make a difference in your community and the excitement of responding to a broad range of unique and challenging experiences? The Portage Department of Public Safety - Police Division is looking for you!
Find a Place to be More! It's Here. It's PORTAGE.
Lateral Transfer Program
The Portage Department of Public Safety (PDPS) Lateral Transfer Program affords certified Police Officers the opportunity to join the Portage Department of Public Safety – Police Division. Officers who have excelled in their law enforcement careers and are up to the task of meeting the high standards of the PDPS can apply now!
Candidates with prior full-time police experience will be hired in at an advance pay step based on prior years of service up to Step F of the current Portage Police Officer’s Association collective bargaining agreement. Step F is currently $80,852 annually (effective July 1, 2023) and $84,491 annually (effective July 1, 2024).
The Portage Department of Public Safety will offer lateral transfers to MCOLES certified officers who are:
- currently employed full-time as a police officer within the State of Michigan;
- a separated officer within the last year from full-time service from a police department within the State of Michigan (subject to successful re-licensure by MCOLES); or
- an out-of-state officer currently employed full-time as a police officer and who qualifies to reciprocal licensure as defined by MCOLES.
Lateral candidates must be at least 21 years old, a U.S. citizen, possess an associate’s degree, and have no felony convictions, including expunged convictions. Successful candidates must obtain a valid Michigan driver license upon hire. Successful candidates must also complete all required tests and evaluations.
Are you ready to make the move to Portage? APPLY NOW!
The Portage Department of Public Safety is a progressive and community-oriented team of law enforcement professions. We are seeking quality individuals who are looking for long-term employment in a rewarding field.
The City of Portage offers the top patrol base salary in Southwest Michigan amongst comparable ($80,852 annually, effective July 1, 2023 and $40.63 per hour/$84,491 annually, effective July 1, 2024). This is in addition to a phenomenal benefits package and other incentives, including:
- Detective Bureau
- Command Staff
- Kalamazoo Metro SWAT
- School Resource Officer Program
- Community Policing Program
- Hostage Negotiator Team
- Portage Narcotics Team
- State Police Drug Task Force
- K9 Team
- Field Training Officer Program
- Crime Scene Technician Team
- Accident Reconstructionist Team
- D.A.R.T. Enforcement Program
- Geolitica Predictive Policing Program
- Bike Patrol / ATV Patrol Team
- Crisis Response Team
- Drone Team
- Departmental Instructor Cadre