On Friday, July 10, 2020, Governor Whitmer issued Executive Order 2020-147, which requires that individuals wear a face covering over their nose and mouth when:
- in any indoor public space and
- outdoors and unable to consistently maintain a distance of six feet or more from other individuals.
Exceptions to this order include those who:
- are five years old or younger;
- cannot medically tolerate a face covering;
- are eating or drinking while seated at a food establishment;
... as well as other exceptions.
The order states that businesses must enforce the wearing of face coverings in their place of business, beginning Monday, July 13 at 12:01 AM. Further, businesses must post signs at entrances instructing customers of their legal obligation to wear a face covering while inside. Willful violation of this order may result in a misdemeanor and a $500 fine. Visit michigan.gov/leo to obtain guidance for COVID-19 Workplace Safety and download printable posters.
If you have questions concerning the Governor’s Executive Order, please contact the Office of the City Manager at 329-4400.