The City of Portage participates in the Michigan Homeowner Assistance Fund (MIHAF). Michigan homeowners may apply for assistance to mitigate financial hardships associated with the COVID-19 pandemic including utility or home energy services, homeowner mortgage delinquencies, defaults and foreclosures, and delinquent property taxes.
The program will pay up to a $25,000 grant per household for the following:
- Delinquent mortgage/housing expenses, including property tax and insurance escrow shortages.
- Delinquent land contract payments, mobile home consumer loan payments or mobile home park lot payments.
- Delinquent property taxes.
- Delinquent condominium/homeowners' association fees.
- Delinquent homeowner's insurance.
- Delinquent utilities - gas, electric, water and sewer.
- Delinquent internet broadband services.
For more information on this program or for directions on how to apply, www.michigan/gov/mihaf or call -844-756-4423. All applications must be submitted through the MSHDA – MIHAF portal at mihaf.michigan.gov/p/home.