Winter Blast Half Marathon, 10k & 5k Road Closures and Traffic Alerts
The 11th Annual Portage Winter Blast Half Marathon, 10k and 5k, presented by Kalamazoo Area Runners (KAR) and the City of Portage, will take place on Sunday, February 26, beginning at 8 AM. All running events will start and end at Loy Norrix High School (606 East Kilgore Road). Periodic road closures in the area will be necessary throughout the day as identified below. Police officers will be present at all locations to assist with traffic.
- 7:15 AM to 9:00 AM: The south-bound curb lane on Lovers Lane from Kilgore Road to Kingsbury Drive will be closed.
- 7:45 AM to 12 noon: The traffic signal at the intersection of Lovers Lane and Kilgore Road will be on four-way red flashing mode.
- 8:00 AM to 8:30 AM: Lovers Lane in the vicinity of the southern entrance to Loy Norrix High School will be intermittently closed by police officers to facilitate runners crossing Lovers Lane.
- 8:15 AM to 11:45 AM: Garden Lane in the vicinity of Celery Flats will be intermittently closed by police officers to facilitate runners crossing Garden Lane.
- 8:15 AM to 11:45 AM: The traffic signal at the intersection of East Centre Avenue and Currier Drive / Mustang Drive will be on a four-way red flashing mode.
- 8:15 to 11:45 AM: The traffic signal at the intersection of West Centre Avenue and South Westnedge Avenue will be on four-way red flashing mode.
- 8:15 to 11:45 AM: The traffic signal at the intersection of Shaver Road and West Melody Avenue will be on four-way red flashing mode.
All roads will reopen no later than 12 PM on Sunday, February 26. Drivers are encouraged to seek alternate routes and should be prepared for traffic delays during this period. Please drive with caution and watch for police, volunteers, runners, and traffic control devices.
For more information on how to register or to volunteer for this event, visit the Portage Winter Blast website at https://runsignup.com/Race/MI/Kalamazoo/ WinterBlastHalfMarathon10K5K.